When it comes to celebrations, it’s go big or go home. Packed with rainbow sprinkles and baked in a 9-inch springform pan, this giant cookie is birthday party-ready.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookie
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (127 grams) bread flour
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup (59 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (10 grams) rainbow sprinkles*, divided
- Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in ⅓ cup (59 grams) sprinkles. Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon (10 grams) sprinkles.
- Bake until center is set and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 27 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan, and let cool completely on base.
- Place half of Buttercream in a pastry bag fitted with a French star #4B tip. Place remaining Buttercream in a pastry bag fitted with a round #12 tip. Alternate piping stars and rounds around edge of cookie. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
PRO TIP: Gently folding in the sprinkles is important to minimize breakage and bleeding during baking.
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons (25 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. With mixer on low speed, add cream, vanilla bean paste, and salt, beating until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 30 seconds. Use immediately.