Gemma Stafford of the blog Bigger Bolder Baking is no stranger to a scone! They are enjoyed in abundance in Ireland year-round. Chocolate, however, is the star of the show around Easter in Ireland, and Gemma says she would have always eaten a chocolate dessert on Easter Sunday, followed by the traditional chocolate Easter eggs that every child would get on Easter morning. This chocolate scone recipe is her twist on the traditional sweet bread. Soft in the middle and crisp on the outside, with the intense flavor of dark chocolate, these scones are perfect for an Easter morning with coffee or after your Easter dinner.
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (21 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons (20 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, finely cubed
- 1 cup (170 grams) 60% cacao semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add chocolate chips, cream, and milk, and working quickly, stir until a loose dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few times just until dough holds together. Pat into a 1-inch-thick circle. Cut dough into 8 wedges, and place on prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake until tops are firm and scones sound hollow when tapped, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Drizzle Chocolate Glaze onto cooled scones, and let set before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Let frozen scones thaw at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- ¾ cup (90 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 grams) whole milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined.