Crisp biscotti is a shipping dream, with a long shelf life and a rigid shape that can handle the long, bumpy road ahead. Our chocolate-peanut butter combo is made all the more decadent by the addition of yuletide-green pistachios. Consider mailing these babies with your favorite brand of coffee—the two are natural companions and make for a complete package. Find more holiday baked goods perfect for mailing to loved ones in our November/December issue!
Chocolate-Peanut Butter-Pistachio Biscotti
- 6 ounces (170 grams) 64% cacao semisweet chocolate*, finely chopped and divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups (219 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (70 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) instant espresso powder*
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (82 grams) peanut butter chips
- ½ cup (66 grams) roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the top of a double boiler, place 4 ounces (113 grams) chocolate. Cook over simmering water, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add melted chocolate, beating until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Fold in peanut butter chips, pistachios, and remaining 2 ounces (57 grams) chocolate.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide in half. Shape each half into a 9×3-inch loaf, and place 2 to 2½ inches apart on prepared pan.
- Bake until set and loaves spring back when touched, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool on pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 1 cooled loaf on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Gently place, cut side down, ½ to ¾ inch apart on prepared pans. Repeat with remaining loaf.
- Bake, one batch at a time, until cut sides feel toasted and mostly dry, about 25 minutes, turning slices halfway through baking. Let cool on pan for 2 minutes. Carefully remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire racks. (Biscotti will continue to crisp as they cool.) Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*We used Guittard 64% Cacao Semisweet Baking Chocolate Bars and Williams Sonoma Espresso Powder.
PACKAGE YOUR CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER-PISTACHIO BISCOTTI: In a large tin or bakery box lined with parchment paper, line up biscotti in rows, packing as tightly as you can. If you have room to stack another row of biscotti, place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between the two layers for protection.